Monday, March 28

Day #87 and a New Cookbook

 One day last week Mom and I along with my daughter went shopping.  The only reason my daughter went with us was so she could get a book at Barnes and Noble.  She is an avid reader and loves her Nook she got for Christmas.  While she was off searching through the teen section, I wondered through the cookbook section.  There isn't much to choose from, two rows, but I did manage to find this little cookbook.


The Frugal Foodie Cookbook:  Waste-Not Recipes For The Wise Cook
by Lara Stark with Lynette Shirk

It has so many interesting recipes!  I will be trying out several this week. The first of which is a simple Bisquick recipe.  My kids love pancakes and biscuits, but I dread making them from scratch and I always forget to buy Bisquick at the store!  Here's a simple solution! 


NEW RECIPE #23  3-IN-1 Eye-Opener Mix
(The Frugal Foodie Cookbook:  Waste-Not Recipes For The Wise Cook)
(Average Family Rating: Biscuits and Pancakes, 5)

8 C. Flour
1/3 C. Baking Powder
1 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
3 Tbsp. Sugar
2 Sticks Butter, unsalted and cold

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Cut the butter into small chunks and add to dry mixture.  Toss butter to coat, then cut butter into mixture with a pastry cutter, I just used my hands, until the mixture is sandy in consistancy.  Store in freezer bags for up to three months.

Biscuits
2 C. Eye-Opener Mix
1 C. Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and grease muffin tin.
Combine milk and mix with a wooden spoon until combined, then beat briskly with wooden spoon for 30 seconds.  Using two spoons, drop 1/4 C. dough into each muffin tin.  Bake for 12 minutes.

Pancakes
2 C. Eye-Opener Mix
1 1/2 C. Milk

I would hope you all know how to make pancakes??

Tips:
1.  I packaged the mix in 2 1/2 C. food saver bags.  
2.  Cut the butter into small pieces then put in the freezer while you mix the dry ingredient. 
3.  I also use the cultured buttermilk powder. It keeps longer and you can mix only what you need at a time.
4.  Cool biscuits for 5 minutes, then remove from muffin tin before they get soggy!



No comments:

Post a Comment