Saturday, January 1

My New Year's resolution...

I seem to have the same resolutions every year...this year is going to be different!  I am going to attempt to make (aka bake, cook, grill, etc.) something new everyday!  I like trying new food and discovering that there can more to my weekly menu other than the same ol' thing! 

Today I am starting with two new recipes:
1. Salt Caramels
2. Chicken Ranch Wraps

I will try to document my cooking with pictures while I am cooking as well as the finished product.  Since this idea came upon me while my daughter and I were making the caramels there will not be any pics of the during of this recipe. (Update:  Need new camera!  No pics today!)

I hope you have as much fun reading this as I hope to have making this resolution one I won't break!

NEW RECIPE #1:  Chicken Ranch Wraps:
(Average Family Rating:  4.8)
(This recipe originated from the Pilsbury Simply Delicious Brunches April 2006)

I am doing a little tweaking to this recipe to suit my family's tastes...

2 to 2 1/2 pounds of shredded or chopped chicken
1 C. of shredded cheese (Cheddar, Mozerella, or Colby Jack)
8 slices of cooked bacon, coarsly chopped
1 C. of ranch dressing
Tortillas
Chopped Lettuce
Chopped Onion

The recipe calls for rotisserie chicken, I just roasted 5 chicken breasts in the oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  I coated them with olive oil, salt, and pepper on both sides.  Add ranch dressing to chopped chicken and combine.  Then it's just like making a taco, add whatever condiments you like, roll up, and enjoy!

NEW RECIPE #2 Salted Caramels:
(Average Family Rating: 3.8)
(This recipe originated from Barefoot Contessa, How Easy is That?)

First and foremost I must say that Ina Garten is my FAVORITE cook!  This recipe is no different from others I have tried, easy and wonderful!

Vegetable oil spray
1 1/2 C. sugar
1/4 C. light corn syrup
1/4 C. water
1 C. heavy cream
5 Tbsp. of unsalted butter
1 tsp. fine kosher salt (she added fancy salt I didn't have)
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Line a 9"x13" pan with parchment paper and spray with veg. oil.  In a stockpot, add sugar, corn syrup, and water. Combine and let come to a boil over medium high heat.  In a sauce pan add butter, salt, and cream.  Let come to a simmer and remove from heat.  Once the sugar mixture has come to a boil, turn off heat and slowly add the cream mixture.  Very hot!  Let the mixture come to a boil and cook until a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees.  Pour into lined pan and refrigerate until set.  Once set, remove from pan and cut into 3 sections shortways.  Then cut each section in half.  Then into bite size pieces!  Enjoy!
(Update:  Let come to room temp. before trying to cut!)

No comments:

Post a Comment