Tuesday, January 11

Day #11 and in search of a warm breakfast...

It's so cold here they have cancelled school!  As I stand here in my kitchen enjoying my new coffee pot, ours went to coffee pot heaven a few days ago (tear), I am freezing and hungry.  I have searched some of my resources for something warm and without bread, nothing.  Does all breakfast food include some form of bread?  When I was sick back in 2004, tells you how often I really get sick, I could not eat any type of bread for almost a year!  Well it seems that it has happened again!  I made the mistake of having half a grilled cheese sandwich! UGH!

So I am going to create my own recipe for a breakfast casserole:

NEW RECIPE #6  Breakfast Casserole:
(Average Family Rating 4.8)

1 Can of Crescent Rolls, unseparated
1lb. Pork and Bacon Bulk Sausage
1/2 C. Roasted Red Peppers, chopped
1/2 C. Onion, diced
1 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
10 Eggs, room temperature
1/3 C. Sour Cream
12 oz. Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook sausage in skillet until browned, transfer sausage to a paper towel lined plate with slotted spoon as not to remove any of the drippings.  Add onions to skillet, saute until soft, then add red peppers and garlic, heat til warm.  Add sausage back to skillet to combine.  Remove from heat, cool for 5 minutes.

Crack eggs into bowl adding salt, black pepper, sour cream, and whisk.  Spray an 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Open crescent rolls and unroll.  Place the entire sheet in the pan and make a crust.  Combine sausage mixture with egg mixture.  Pour into 9x13 pan, top with cheddar cheese. Bake until set.

TIPS:
  1. YES I do realize crescent rolls are a type of bread, but it is much lighter and I had a can in the refrigerator! :)
  2. After browning the sausage, I realized I had a bit too much grease in the pan so I removed half.
  3. I grate my own cheese. So before I grate cheese, I put it in the freezer for 5 minutes.  It really helps the cheese stay together as you grate it!
  4. I don't give specific cooking times or temperatures because I have a really crappy oven (not for long) and I do not want someone to burn anything! (took about 30 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment