Sunday, February 27

Day #58 and Granola

It is another dreary day here...dense fog, drizzle, but surprisingly not too cold.  While flipping through my cookbooks yesterday I found a granola recipe.  I have made granola before, but not with fruit.  My sister gave me this awesome recipe for Peanut Butter Granola.  It is so good, but I wanted something more traditional.  This is the first time I am using the convection oven and my kitchen smells incredible!  I did make a few changes to this recipe.  For some reason when it comes to baking recipes I can't seem to leave it alone, I always want to change it!

New Recipe #16 Homemade Granola:
(The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook)
(Average Family Rating)

4 C. Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
2 C. Sweetened Coconut, shredded
2 C. Sliced Almonds
3/4 C. Vegetable Oil
1/2 C. Honey
1 1/2 C. Dried Apricots, small diced
1 C. Dried Figs, small diced
1 C. Dried Cherries
1 C. Dried Cranberries
1 C. Cashews, unsalted and roasted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Toss first five ingredients in a large bowl.  Whisk honey and oil together in a small bowl.  Pour over dry ingredients and toss until well coated.  Pour on to (2) half sheet pans and bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally.  Remove from oven and allow to cool. Add dried fruit and cashews.  Store in airtight container.

My Changes:
1.  I divided the oats into:
               2 C. Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
               1 C. Quick Oats
               1 C. Wheat Germ

2.  I didn't add cranberries, figs, or cashews.  Not a big fan...

3.  I used Orange Honey that I picked up while visiting my Mom.

4.  I made a few mistakes in making this...I added the fruit before baking the oat mixture and didn't add enough oil.  Guess I should have two cups of coffee before cooking anything!

FYI:  The convection oven cooks super fast!  Can't leave the kitchen when using it!

No comments:

Post a Comment